our plans for restoration
In May of 2017 a site visit and engineering evaluation was conducted by NMLK Board members and representatives from Mihm Enterprises, Inc., Sanders & Czapski Associates, and the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). In the summer and early fall of 2017 we plan to proceed with the following restoration activities:
- Hazmat Removal and Structure Cleaning
- All material will be removed, bagged, and disposed of using approved methods of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), this includes interior lead paint removal, asbestos removal, and bird guano/deck cleaning
- Installation of temporary boat/equipment cranes
- SCUBA underwater evaluation of structure and bottomlands
- Lantern house restoration
- Paint Exterior Structure
In addition, we will continue to pursue making design plans, grant applications, and cost estimates throughout 2017.
Plans beyond 2017 will be forthcoming.
All restoration activities will be conducted in accordance with EPA, SHPO, and Coast Guard requirements.
We will be working with Mihm Enterprises, Inc. to complete the restoration of the North Manitou Shoal Light.
Here are a few words from the corporate resume of Mihm Enterprises, Inc.:
"Mihm Enterprises, Inc. is a women-owned full-service contracting company located in Hamilton, Michigan. We have been at the forefront of the commercial and residential historic restoration business since 1989, and we pride ourselves on the ability to solve any of the construction problems that building owners may encounter. Our commitment to excellence, dedication to high quality solutions, and reputation for reliability and success has established us as a leader in the industry.
To date we have received 4 Governors Awards for Historic Preservation and 2 Michigan Historic Preservation Network Building Awards on projects we have completed. Most of these awards have come from the historic restoration of Lighthouses and we have had the pleasure of working on 16 of these structures throughout Michigan.
Mihm Enterprises’ staff of experienced professionals provides quality services, recommending the best solution for the construction needs of the customer and giving maximum return on dollars invested. Our clients think our combination of quality work, job-site coordination, communication, and personalization is what sets Mihm Enterprises apart from our competition.
As a full-service construction company, Mihm Enterprises is licensed, bonded, and fully insured for your protection.
Our specialties include:
· Restoration Work- Historical and Modern
· Interior and exterior work
· Removal & Installation of High Performance Coatings
· Metal Fabrication & Restoration
· Residential and Commercial roof replacement
· Historic wood/steel window & door restoration
· Asbestos certified company, lead abatement trained
· Demolition and remediation capabilities
· Crane Service & lifts
Please visit our web page at http://www.mihmenterprises.com for more information about our company."